The Plateau State Commissioner for Health, Dr Nimkong Ndam, says a Chinese has been stopped from supplying free water to a community in the state pending outcome of coronavirus investigations on people who had contacts with him.
Ndam also said 43 persons have been quarantined in Wase Local Government Area of the state for investigations to forestall the spread of Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the state.
News Agency of Nigeria reports that the 43 persons were those, who had contact with four Chinese miners, who recently returned to the state from China en-route Addis Ababa.
The Commissioner stated this during a press briefing on Sunday in Jos, saying the isolation was for a period of 14 days, to check if they would manifest symptoms of the virus.
“One Chinese national, arrived on Tuesday, February 25 while the three others arrived on Wednesday. They came from China through Addis Ababa Airport to Abuja airport, where they were screened by health officials,” he said.
He said the Chinese, who arrived on Tuesday, is the leader of the mining team in Wase town while the other two live in Bakin Kaya, a mining site outside Wase town.
He explained that “the leader had been offering social services of water supply to members of the community where he resides but was asked to suspend the services pending investigations,” adding that “a total of 25 persons who had contact with him had been isolated.”
“The other three Chinese live in a compound with 13 Nigerians, who also have been isolated pending investigations, making a total of 18 persons isolated in Bakin Kaya,” he noted.
The commissioner said the travel documents of the Chinese persons were valid, saying the state had isolation units in Jos University Teaching Hospital and Plateau Specialist Hospitals in the case of an outbreak of the disease in the state.
NAN reports that Nigeria confirmed case of COVID-19 was reported on Friday, February 27 of an Italian, who works for a vendor that provides services to the Lafarge Cement Factory in Ewekoro in Ogun State.
The disease since its onset in China in December 2019, had killed more than 2, 000 persons in China.