The private residence of Ibe Kachikwu, Nigeria’s minister of state for petroleum resources, caught fire on Sunday [October 16, 2017] evening.
The Cable reports that the house located in Asokoro, Abuja caught fire due to a suspected electrical fault to the air conditioners in the minister’s bedroom.
“Kachikwu was not at home when it happened, but thankfully the fire service reacted quickly and put out the fire before things could go out of hand,” a source disclosed to the online newspaper.
Details are scanty on the extent of damage to the house but reports indicate that nobody was hurt in the incident.
The minister has been in the news recently over his letter to President Muhammadu Buhari in which he complained about insubordination and humiliation by Maikanti Baru, the group managing director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).