Talks between the Federal Government and organized labour on the N30,000 minimum wage have broken down again and remained inconclusive at the end of another round of meeting on Friday night in Abuja.
Both sides are scheduled to reconvene on Monday to take a final decision on the grey areas.
Labour Minister, Chris Ngige, told reporters at the end of a five -hour long meeting yesterday that substantial progress had been made in the discussion and that all that is left is a final resolution.
Ngige said there was no deadlock as the two sides agreed on most of the issues tabled for discussion and only adjourned to allow for further consultations.
He said President Muhammadu Buhari wanted the issue thrashed out and he would not have set up the tripartite committee on the minimum wage if he was not interested in the matter in the first place.
Also speaking, NLC President, Ayuba Wabba, dismissed any idea that the meeting was deadlocked.
His words: “The meeting decided to adjourn and reconvene on Monday for us to do further consultations before the issues are concluded. We have discussed all the issues and all the grey areas, particularly how we can ensure that the issue is put behind us.
“That is why we took such a long time, including having a timeout to consult. But we have not been able to conclude and we have agreed to reconvene to tidy up the process.
“The issue at stake is to make sure that the bill is transmitted and also other auxiliary issues that government says they are trying to put together. We also want to see how the money gets into the pocket of our workers because a lot of economic factors have affected the current wage.
“But the major issue is that we have been able to have a meaningful social dialogue. But the process is not conclusive and will reconvene on Monday.
“Monday is not too far from now since today is Friday.”