Former Minister & Big Corporate Player, Chief Mrs Onikepo Akande has been promoted by the Olubadan of Ibadan. She is now the new Iyalaje Iyalode of Ibadan. She is an Ibadan indigene from a rich pedigree.
She is an accomplished woman who has made a big name for herself as a boardroom guru in the private sector.
Chief Dr Mrs Nike Akande CON attended Queen’s School, Ede from 1958-1962 for her secondary education, Chief Dr Nike Akande later attended the University of North London from 1965-1968 where she studied Accountancy. She did her postgraduate programme at the prestigious Harvard Business School, Boston, USA. She also attended a management development course at Oxford University, United Kingdom, and an Advanced Management Course, at International Institute for Management Development in Lausanne, Switzerland and Insead Business School at Abu Dhabi, UAE.
She was the first Nigerian Woman to be appointed Minister of Industry.
- She was a two-time Minister of Industry of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- She is a Harvard Trained Professional and an Investment Expert.
- Chairman of NEPAD Business Group Nigeria (New Partnership for Africa’s Development).
- Past President of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI).
- Director of PZ Cussons Foundation. 2008 to Date.
- Director of Union Bank of Nigeria Plc. 2008 to 2017.
- Chairman, Oyo State Education Trust Fund. 2017 to 2019.
- Group Chairman, Emerging Africa Capital Limited. Sept. 2018 to Date.
- Member of the Board of Governors, Pearl Awards Nigeria. Sept. 2018 to Date.
- Trustee of President Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL). 2016 to Date.
- Member of the Board of Trustees of Edwin Clark University, Kiagbodo, Delta State.
- Honorary Consultant to Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State.
- Distinguished Honourable Delegate to the National Conference of Nigeria. 2014.
- The First Female President of the Harvard Business School Association of Nigeria. 2010 to 2012.
- International Consultant to the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), UNIFEM and UNIDO.
- She is an honorary Life Vice-President of Nigeria Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA).
- She is Deputy National President, Ex-Officio, NACCIMA.
- Dr. (Mrs.) Akande is the Chairman, Academy for Entrepreneurial Studies (AES) Excellence Club. 2010 to Date.
- President of the National Association of Nigeria Women in Business (Lagos Chapter).
- Member of the Advisory Board of NLNG Nigeria Prize for Science. 2016 to Date
- Board Member, Women Corporate Directors in Nigeria.
- Former Council Member of The Nigeria-British Chamber of Commerce.
- Member Women Corporate Directors Global Nominating Commission in New York.
- Dr. (Mrs.) Akande is a foundation member of the Nigeria Economic Summit Group.
- Member of Nigeria G15 Economic Corporation Council.
- A member of the Africa Business Roundtable (ABR). 1997 to Date.
- President, Pan-Africa organization for Women Recognition.
- Fellow of the Institute of Directors (IOD).
- Member of Vision 2010 and Vision 2020 of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Member of the panel to study and re-organised Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
- Board member Bank Directors Association of Nigeria (BDAN).
- Director of the National Insurance Corporation of Nigeria (NICON). 1993-1994.
- Director of Nigeria Industrial Development Bank (NIDB) now Bank of Industry. 1990-1994.
- Member of the Board of Trustee of the National Centre for Women Development, Abuja, 1992-1994.
- Member of Oyo State Political and Economic Affairs Council. 1990
- Member of Technical Committee of Late Maryam Babangida’s
Better Life Programme for Rural Women. 1987
She is a recipient of many Honours and Awards among which are:
- One of the Modern Warriors of Ibadanland. March 2020
- Life Time Leadership Award by Euroknowledge at the House of Lords, London, UK. 2019
- Hallmarks of Labour Foundation Role Model Award for Outstanding Contributions to Corporate Governance. 2018
- She was voted Woman of the Year 2017 by Allure Vanguard Newspapers.
- A recipient of The SUN Life Time Achievement Award. 2016.
- A recipient of the Vanguard Life Time Achievement Award. 2015
- Grand Star Award, Irawo Oodua by His Imperial Majesty, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, Ojaja II, Oonirisa of Ife.
- Inspirational Woman Award by Oyo State Officials Wives Association, at the 2016 National Women’s Summit. Presented by His Excellency, Oyo State Governor Abiola Ajimobi.
- Merit Award by the Central Council of Ibadan Indigenes (CCII).
- National Honour of Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON) 2014.
- She is the recipient of the Lagos State Government 2011 Tax Compliance Award.
- National Honour of Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON). 2003
- Africa Federation of Women Entrepreneur Award in Addis-Ababa Ethiopia. 1998
- School Prefect at Queen’s School, Ede now Queen’s School, Ibadan. 1958-1962 set.
- To name a few.
The Harvard Business School, Oxford University, United Kingdom, The International Institute for Management Development in Lausanne, Switzerland and Insead Business School Alumnus was the First Woman from Ibadan to be a Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Second in Oyo State. A renowned Industrialist and Investment Expert. Former President described her as “A role model and an Inspiration”. She has had a distinguished career in Nigeria’s business landscape and her CV can best be described as intimidating.
She has participated in a number of International Trade and Investment fora at both Overseas and in Nigeria.
She is an author of many outstanding publications and academic papers, such as:
- Opportunities for Women in National Development.
- Maximizing Means of Gaining Access to Credit in Africa.
- Life Balance for the Career Woman-Thriving 24/7 for Women.
- Appointing Women into Boards of Corporations, Companies, and Government-owned Agencies: Will affirmative action or enabling legislation work?
- She is happily married to Chief Adebayo Akande MFR, a Solicitor and Chairman Splash FM 105.5