An 83-year old woman was reportedly rescued from a twelve bedroom bungalow razed by fire in Onitsha, Anambra State.
The apartment, located at No. 36 New Market road Onitsha, was said to have gone up in flames following a kerosene explosion.
The Nation learnt that documents of the occupants and property worth millions of naira were lost to the fire incident.
A resident of the area, who simply identified himself as Ebuka, said the explosion occurred when an elderly occupant of the building ignited light on a stove he was about to cook with.
“He had bought a kerosene suspected to be adulterated which he poured inside the stove and lit light when the stove suddenly exploded,” he said.
Narrating his ordeal, one of the occupants of the bungalow, Mr Chukwudi Nwankwo, said he lost property worth over N6million to the fire.
“I equally lost several documents including the certificates and NYSC discharge papers of three of my children,” Nwankwo said.
The visibly devastated victim wondered what would become of the family having lost all their belongings to the inferno.
Another victim, Mr Obinna Ikah, thanked youths of the area who assisted in putting out the fire and rescuing the octogenarian said to be alone in the building when the incident happened.
“The fire could have affected other buildings if not for their timely intervention. We thank God that no life was lost in the inferno,” he added.