LAGOS Prophet, Apostle DELE JOHNSON
There is so much controversy about the ordinance of Tithing as it relates to the New Testament. Some oppose Tithing in the New Testament claiming that it ended with the Old Testament.
Some claim that grace has redeemed us from the curse of the law therefore there is no place for the curse of Malachi chapter 3 verse 8. However from my research there is not a single scripture that contradicted the doctrine of tithing rather what we find is in support of it. Below are my findings.
RED LETTERED WORDS OF JESUS CHRIST.
In the gospel according Luke we see a red lettered word of Jesus validating the doctrine of tithing.
I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
- Here Jesus spoke about about the parable of a certain an who trusted in his righteousness.
- One man tendered his course of personal righteousness to include the fact that he was a faithful TITHER •The other man chose rather to rely on the mercy of God than his self righteousness.
- Jesus concluded his Teaching by highlighting”Everyone that exalteth him/herself shall be abased and he that humble himself shall be exalted”.
MATHEW TWENTY THREE TWENTY THREE VALIDATION.
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Also CORROBORATED IN:
But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
- Jesus OUTRIGHTLY condemned the Pharisees because they concentrated on the ordinance of tithing and neglected the weightier matters like judgment, mercy and faith.
- Jesus conclude that they ought to have done all without leaving the other undone.
- The statement of Jesus does not any way condemn the ordinance of tithing rather he validated when he said “You ought to have done all without leaving the other undone”.
THE PRIESTLY ORDER OF MELCHISEDEC.
This is the teaching on the priestly order and its relationship to the ordinance of tithing.
Apostle Paul taught us that Abraham gave tithe to Melchisedec suggestive that the tithing predated the mosaic law.
- Apostle Paul also stressed that Melchisedec was great to the extent that our patriach Abraham gave the Tenth of his spoils of his free will. But in Moses it became a law for the Levites who received the priesthood to receive tithe from the people. Of course the reason for picking the Levites to take the tithe is because in Abraham they first gave tithe while Levi was in the loins of Abraham when Melchisedec met him.
- He carefully compared the priesthood of Jesus Christ to that of Melchisedec instead of that of Aaron or any other.
For he testified “Thou art a priest forever after the order of Melchisedec “(Psalm 110:4)
- The question that readily comes to mind is “What is the Order of Melchisedec ?
- Please note that every priest (All believers have been made priest and kings) is ordained by God to offer gifts and sacrifices to God. Also remember that the Mosaic law was a shadow of the New Testament. It was pointing on things to come which was rooted on better foundation and promises.(Hebrews 8:5)
- In the New Testament God put his laws in our mind and wrote it upon the tablets of our hearts (Hebrews 8:10) for two main reasons.
- Firstly because the law was not suspended but deliberately rooted in our hearts and secondly because the issue as it stands with God is a heart issue.
He put it in our heart because it is paramount in his heart so that we do not obey by compulsion but by faith and Love.
- In the New Testament and by the order of Melchisedec the ordinance of tithing is by faith borne out of love and worship of our God.
- Again what is the order of Melchisedec .It is the new order of tithing which is now rooted in our hearts which we observe by faith because we love and worship our God.
- In the New Testament it so no longer by law but by the grace which came to us through christ Jesus. And the proof of grace is the expression of our faith in God has we worship him with our tithes and offerings.
THE BLESSING OF TITHING IS ACTIVATED ONLY WHEN WE PRACTICE THE COVENANT OF TITHING.
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the Lord of hosts.
- All of these blessings in the book of Malachi chapter three can only become ours when we activate it by practicing the ordinance of tithing.
- What about the CURSE. Does a believer who has the law written in his /her heart escape the consequences of not practicing Tithing since we are now under grace?.
Let me ask you this question. “As a believer who is under grace If you stay in the cold inside the rain without Protection are you likely to catch the flu?
- In the first place the purpose of putting the law in our heart is to ensure that we no longer struggle with the practice of Gods law.
The second reason is because these laws are very dear to God. They are in his heart so he puts them in our hearts so that there will be a heart to heart connection on this issue.
- Those who are busy debating Tithe rather than practicing the ordinance are certainly Not connecting with the heart of God on the matter.
- God was unhappy that his people turned their back on his ordinances and he confirm that not paying tithe and offerings is tantamount to Robbing God.
- In verse Nine God declared “You are cursed with a curse. The question is which curse?
- The curse is the repercussion of the transgression from the standpoint of the devil. There was a particular repercussion for this transgression. “Scarcity” which is caused by the Devourer (v10-12). The devil who is constantly looking for loopholes will promptly come into the blessings of a transgressors in order to destroy it when he finds one.
Whether you are a believer under or not you can not jump down from an helicopter without a parachute and escape serious injury.