Former President Goodluck Jonathan under the aegis of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, says there is a campaign to tarnish his reputation.
This was said in less than a week after Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo criticised the immediate past administration.
Osinbajo had said Jonathan shared N150 billion two weeks to the 2015 elections.
“In one single transaction, a few weeks to the 2015 elections, sums of N100billion and $295million were just frittered away by a few,” he said.
“We saw from the presentation of the minister of finance that N14 billion was spent on agriculture in 2014, transportation N15 billion, so the total spent on infrastructure in those three years were N153 billion and in two weeks before the elections, N150 billion was essentially shared.”
Jonathan had denied the allegation, challenging Osinbajo to substantiate his claim.
He spoke through Reno Omokri, his former media aide.
However, on Sunday night, the ex-president said he had been informed that faceless and identified persons were after him.
“It has been brought to my attention that while I am away promoting democracy in Sierra Leone, a campaign will be unleashed against me to falsely impugn my name using both faceless and identified persons,” he wrote on Facebook.
“When I was in power I said my ambition is not worth the blood of any Nigerian. Even out of power, I continue to hold that belief.
“What I will say, however, is that no matter how far and fast falsehood has traveled, it must eventually be overtaken by truth.”
Jonathan is currently monitoring the presidential runoff election in Sierra Leone.