There are quite a number of great Islamic scholars and clerics in Yoruba land. They are highly knowledgeable and well respected across the world. Their contribution to the propagation of the message of Islam across the land is commendable as they enjoy a large pool of followers. They are great icons among the living. Allah has indeed made them the shining light of Islam in the land. They are educated and can not push aside when it comes to discussing contemporary matters. Below is a list of 40 popular clerics who are known and respected across the South Western part of Nigeria. They are held in high esteem across the land beyond. It is important at this point to note that the list was done not to show order of hierarchy of the scholars and each of them are grand in their own capacity. So there should be no basis for comparison.
(1) Sheikh Habeebullah Adam Al-Ilory is popularly called “Mudeer Marikaz”. He is a very popular Islamic scholar and the son of the Legendary Sheikh Adam Al-Ilory and administrator of Markaz Arabic and Islamic Training Institute, Agege, one of the most efficient Arab institutes in Lagos State.
(2) Sheikh Muideen Ajani Bello is a veteran Islamic scholar of high repute. He is very eloquent and says things the way they are. The sheikh has been up there for many years and keeps axing stronger by the day.
(3) Sheikh AbdulRahman Olarenwaju Ahmad is a top and well respected Islamic scholar. He is the national missioner of Ansar-ud-Deen Society of Nigeria, a foremost Islamic society in the country. The sheikh is known for his oratory prowess when delivering lectures. He does comfortably well in Arabic, English or Yoruba language.
(4) Sheikh Suleiman Farouq Onikijipa is another ground scholar who enjoys lots of followership. He is the grand mufti of Ilorin emirate, a position reserved for erudite Islamic scholars.
(5) Sheikh Imran Abdul Mojeed Eleha is up there and an Islamic scholar par excellence. He is the Chief Imam of Daaru Naim Central Mosque. He is fun to listen to.
(6) Sheikh Rabiu Adebayo who many people fondly refer to as “Babaloworo” is a vast Islamic scholar with over 60 years of Islamic propagation across the land. He is the founder and spiritual leader of Lutful-lahi International, a religious, non-political association open to all Muslims regardless of religious denomination, gender, colour or race. The over 80years old cleric is indeed a patriarch worthy of all accolades of scholarship in Islam.
(7) Dr. Abdulateef Abdulhakeem is a popular Islamic scholar and a lawyer by profession. He is a prominent politician in Lagos State. He is the former Lagos Commissioner for Home Affairs and founder of the renowned Markaz AbdulLateef Centre for Quranic Memorization and Arabic Studies.
(8) Sheikh Zikrulah Shaffi is a great Islamic scholar of national and international repute. He is among the well respected scholars Yoruba people don’t joke with. He is The Grand Mufti of the Conference of Islamic Organizations (CIO), a prominent group that accommodates many Islamic societies in Nigeria.
(9) Sheikh Dr. Abdur Rahman Adeyanju Lawal is an erudite Islamic scholar whose lectures have won the heart of many into Islam and got many Muslims devoted. He is fondly referred to as Sheikh of Lagos. He is the Chief Missioner and founder of NADWATUL AHLI WORLDWIDE.
(10) Sheikh Abdulraman Sulaiman Adangba is the National Missioner of an Islamic society known as Al Fatih-Ul–Quareeb Islamic Society of Nigeria. He is an Islamic scholar of great repute. He is an embodiment of knowledge and this resonates round him always.
(11) Sheikh Al- Mukhatar is one of the wave-making Islamic scholars in the city of Lagos. His sphere of influence has gone far and wide as his followers’ base on social media has been overwhelming.
(12) Sheikh Buhari Musa which many call Buhari Omo Musa is a toast of many Muslim. They like him for his bluntness and the comic relief he brings to his lectures.
(13) Sheikh Musa Yahya Agboola is a veteran Islamic cleric. He is the founder and spiritual leader of Darul Falah Islamic organization in Amukoko area of Lagos State. He is ranked among top scholars in the land. He has contributed a lot to Islamic propagation in the society.
(14) Sheikh Alhaji Taofeeq Akeugbagold is a popular “jingo”. He needs little or no introduction. He is one of the wave-making Islamic clerics in town. He is “Wazeer Muslimeen of Oyo State.
(15) Sheikh Qamarudeen Ajala also known as Amir Qamarudeen Ajala is an Islamic scholar whose lectures are always on point.
(16) Sheikh Abdurazaq Alaro is a top educationist and erudite scholar. He is a Professor of Law at the prestigious University of Ilorin. The sheikh is an alumnus of Islamic University of Medinah, Saudi-Arabia where he graduated with a 1st Class Degree. He is indeed a reference point and pride to the people of Yoruba.
(17) Sheikh Dr. Bilal Al Asra is very versatile. He is a scholar and researcher. His lectures are quite inspiring as he goes into lots of scholarly research into them. Having studied Shari’a law and Islamic jurisprudence from one of the top University of Saudi Arabia, the popular Doctor from Iwo, is one of the very first batches of PhD holders from universities of Arabian lands. He is one of the prize students of the late Baba Abd Baqi of Iwo.
(18) Sheikh Thaoban Adam Al-Ilory is the brother of Sheikh Habeebulah Adam Al-Ilory, the Mudeer Markaz. Both of them are among the children of the Full Bright Muslim Scholar and founder of noble Islamic institute, Markaz located in Agege. Sheikh Thaoban is a former lecturer at Lagos State University. He is sound and among the respected Islamic scholars in Yoruba land.
(19) Fadilatu Sheikh Muyideen Salman is the Chief Imam Offa. He is a well-rounded scholar whose lectures mostly address societal ills in terms of moral decadence. He says things the way they are. He is an eloquent preacher.
(20) Alhaji Engr. Sulaimon Oluwatoyin Abou-Nolla is an Islamic scholar with class. He is the Chief Imam of Lagos.
Other Islamic clerics that are highly referred in Yoruba land are not limited to the likes of Chief Imam of Akure, Sheikh Abdulhakeem Yayi-Akorede; Sheikh Abdul Wahab Zubair Algamawy; Sheikh Ridwan Sanusi Zuglool, Mudeer Daru- Dawah Wal Irshad; Sheikh Abdul-Azeez Onike, the Chief Missioner of Nasru-llahi-l-Fatih Society, popularly known as NASFAT; Shiekh Issa Sideeq, a vast scholar who graduated from Al- Ashar University in Egypt; Sheikh Daud Miqdaad Akewuyanju; Sheikh Al-Imam Muhammad B.A. Alfa nla; Sheikh Abdullah Gbade Akinbode, the former national missioner of Nasfat; the veteran Sheikh Issa Akindele, Sheikh Sulayman Amubieya; Sheikh Tunde Yaqub, Sheikh Abdulfatai Mojeed; and Sheikh Sirajudeen Arisukuna.
Also worthy of mention are Sheikh Daud AbdulMajeed Alfa Nla Eleha; Sheikh Abdulqodir Habeebullahi Musa Al-Adaby; the President, League of Imams and Alfas, Southwest, Edo and Delta States, Sheikh Jamiu Kewulere; Grand Mufti of Ondo State, Sheikh Batuta Al-Adabiy; The Chief Imam of Lekki Central Mosque, and Shaykh Ridwan Jamiu. They are resourceful and blessing to entire Muslim Community in Yorubaland.